Monday, July 16, 2007

Ultrasound for infertility

Ultrasound technology provides a nonsurgical way of viewing a woman's pelvic organs during various infertility tests and procedures. It uses high-frequency sound waves that travel at different speeds through body organs and tissues. The waves are then reflected back to a detector where they are converted into pictures. The probe (transducer) that is used to assess and help treat infertility-related conditions is placed within the vagina (transvaginal).
A hysterosonogram is done to evaluate the inside of the uterus (endometrial cavity) by filling the uterus with fluid during a transvaginal ultrasound. This procedure is also known as a sonohysterogram.

6 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Technology brodens our horizons. This is great news to those ladies who are trying to become pregnant.

Chris said...

We have made such leaps and bounds during the past 20 years in the technology which we use to help solve infertility problems. It is amazing!

Linda's Blog said...

So many advances in the infertility arena and these advances bring so much hope to many. Keep up the great work you are doing.

Tahia said...

Interestingly enough a friend of mine was just in a car accident (she is fine) and will be seeing her doctor today. In fact I was able to soothe her fears when I told her just how much information came be gathered from sonograms. So, I thank you for your informative blog.

Eileen said...

Great info which I have shared with female friends going thru infertility work-ups that they found "embarassing" until they understood the why's. great log-thanks

The Girl Next Door said...

I have spent way too much time in the CT and radiology in the past month. My husband had issues with his wrist and my 7 year old decided to use his head for a baseball. Needless to say they are both fine. I wasn't at MGH but I wish I had been.